Frequently Asked Questions about traveling to Morocco and COVID-19
This page is last updated on 13 August 2021.
Also, make sure to always check the latest official information from your home country and Morocco before you travel.
Last July we made the journey from Europe (The Netherlands) to Morocco ourselves. You can about it over here
What do you need to enter Morocco?
Morocco will be open for travelers starting June 15th.
What you need to enter is:
Country of departure
- You need to be from a List A country. Overall; Travelers from the US, Canada, and Europe. Except for Spain, Portugal, France, Kazachstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, and Ukraine are free to enter.
- For the close readers: this is List B. People from countries of List B can only enter under special circumstances and are submitted to a 10 day quarantine period upon arrival.
Vaccination of negative PCR-test
- If you have not (yet) been fully vaccinated more than 4 weeks ago; then you need a negative PCR test taken a maximum of 48 hours before arrival [source: https://www.diplomatie.ma/en/faqs-resumption-flights-and-morocco-starting-tuesday-june-15-2021]
- People who have been FULLY vaccinated with AstraZeneca, Sinopharm, Sputnik, Pfizer/BioNTech, Janssen, Covishield, Moderna, or Sinovac more than 4 weeks ago can (with a valid vaccination certificate) enter Morocco without a PCR test.
Declaration of health
In addition, you must complete a health declaration before arrival. We hand these over to our travelers in advance.
How is the situation in Morocco?
The situation in Morocco is deteriorating somewhat. Morocco is busy when it comes to vaccinations. There are still fewer infected and sick people than in the US or Europe. This is the official overview (in French) of the Moroccan situation.
Cafes and transport are on 50% capacity. Hotel on 75%. No gatherings with more than 25 people are allowed. Weddings and funerals are not allowed.
Are face masks mandatory?
Masks for vaccinated people are not mandatory. But for others, they need to wear a mask
Can you travel free around the country?
Tourists are free to travel around the country. Keep your vaccination certificate and your identity papers with you at all times.
Are all tourist places open?
Hammams and indoor swimming pools are closed.
Is there any curfew?
What is done to safeguard that I’m not infected?
How is the vaccination progressing in Morocco?
It is going steady and surely, so far 31% of the population is vaccinated and the program is still going on
How high are the risks of getting COVID in Morocco?
If I get COVID-19 in Morocco; what is the healthcare like?
What are the guidelines I need to follow in Morocco? Is there any form of social distancing? And other guidelines?
Are tourists welcome again in Morocco?
What will Travel Magical Morocco do to ensure I have a safe and enjoyable trip?
In addition, we help you with your travel preparations; like reminding you of your PCR test and adding (re-usable) facemasks to your luggage list. Check-ins in the hotels/ riads will be done as safely as possible and we will keep a close eye on all travelers. And we make sure you will enjoy the beauty of Morocco.
Any other things to take into account?
What we do for the local people
As you may already know, Morocco is very dependent on tourism. Not just the hotels. Riads, guides, and all drivers depend on it. But also the craftsmen who sell their goods to tourists. The shepherds who sell animals from their herds to restaurants, and all their families suddenly see their incomes plummet or disappear. The Moroccan government offered some support in the beginning. But it’s not much.
From Travel Magical Morocco we help in 2 ways:
- we have set up a crowdfunding campaign. This way you can directly donate money that goes to the people in the mountains. So that they can provide for their basic necessities.
- In addition, we have set up a webshop: HelpLocalwithLove where we sell stuff from the craftsmen who normally sell to tourists. With this webshop, you get a nice product and you help the people in Morocco (or Sri Lanka; from which we also have items in our range).
My question isn’t answered yet
Do you miss information in our FAQ – Everything you want to know about traveling to Morocco and COVID-19? Or want to raise another question? In that case: very simple; just ask! [email protected]